Saturday, October 26, 2013

Inexpensive Crochet Hook Revamp

Ever seen these super cool polymer clay crochet hooks???
Photo from: http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/05/polymer-clay-crochet-hooks/

Well, they are super neat looking!!! I think the purpose of adding clay to your hook is to help with the cramping you get as a bonus while crocheting. They can get expensive though. You could certainly buy an ergonomic hook like these from Clover: 

I do LOVE this hook!!!! But they can be quite pricey, especially without a coupon. 

This is how I fixed my plain ol' aluminum hooks...just grab your hook and these materials and you'll be on your way to a more comfortable grip- or so I think. 
Materials needed:
Crochet hook
Pencil grips
Putty
Scissors

Take some putty and shape it around your hook. I chose to cover the thumb grip only because that's what I need thicker. You could also wrap the whole handle to make a larger grip like the polymer clay hooks. 

Using the scissors, cut through a pencil grip. 
This makes it easier to get around the putty. I tried rolling the pencil grip over the putty----big pain in the rump.  

Now wrap the pencil grip around your clay. 


Cutting the pencil grip will (obviously) leave a line where the two sides meet again. I just placed the pencil grip in a way that the line is not under my thumb. I don't even know it's there until I look closely. Trust me...if you've ever had hand/thumb cramping from gripping your hook, the line won't make a difference (even if you are OCD like me) ;-)


Ta daaaa!! Now get to hookin'

Vicky, out :)

1 comment: