Saturday, December 7, 2013

Unloved. Teaching After Miscarriage(s). Soapbox.


Teaching after our miscarriages has been lovely, heartbreaking, amazing, tough... These children need love. They need to know someone is there for them. Will I be their best friend? No way. Do I want them to "like" me? Meh. I want them to know that I'm there to help them through this year and give them the tools and strategies needed for life. 
It's been tough on me when I see a kid come to school with the attitude of "I'm unloved" - Those days hurt. It makes me miss our babies even more. Makes me wonder, would they have felt that way? Surely not on purpose. But I don't think parents intentionally raise children to feel unloved. At least I hope and pray not. 

At dinner, the mister and I were talking about my day and my passion for teaching and compassion for kids showed through tears. In a very upset state of mind, I questioned "I wonder if it'd be easier if I didn't care so dang much?" He quickly put me in my place. No it wouldn't be easier...because then these kids would leave me thinking that yet another person didn't care about them. They are 9 and 10 years old. Their whole life is ahead of them!  They will do great things. By golly, I want them to know there are people out there caring about their day. Caring about their accomplishments. Caring about their new shoes. Caring about their future. 

Rant over. Somewhat. I wonder what our babies would've been like. Would they have had my passion for caring about others? Would they have had their daddy's smarts? Who would they have looked like? Who would they go to when they had a rough day? Would they have known (truly known) they could come to us no matter what? Would they have actually done it? Would they have had good teachers? I could would all day and night. 

Love your babies. Let them know they are loved. Don't just assume they know it. I know, I know- why take advice from someone who has never had a child and been a parent? You're right, I don't have a child. I have 52 of them this year. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your heart. Your students are fortunate to have you!

    ReplyDelete